Conflict Dynamics has developed a structured approach to humanitarian engagement and access that guides practitioners and influential actors through a methodological process firmly rooted in the core humanitarian principles and the relevant provisions of international laws, policies, and norms. The approach encourages sound analysis, including through actor analysis, creativity in developing options, skills-building related to humanitarian negotiations, and a clear way of working through dilemmas.
In partnership with the government of Switzerland, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, and the International Committee of the Red Cross; Conflict Dynamics has developed a unique methodology for improving humanitarian access. The methodology is captured in the following resources:
- Humanitarian Access in Situations of Armed Conflict: Practitioners’ Manual (2014)
[Summary versions are available in English, French, and Arabic]
- Humanitarian Access in Situations of Armed Conflict: Handbook on the International Normative Framework (2014)
- Increasing Capacities of Humanitarian Practitioners: Conflict Dynamics utilizes its core resources to present its unique methodology for improving humanitarian access with a variety of actors including government authorities, armed opposition groups, civil society, and humanitarian practitioners, among others. Providing critical training and capacity building to national and local staff on the frontlines of conflict enable practitioners to assist populations outside the reach of larger, international organizations as well as guarantee sustainability in institutional trainings.
- Engaging Influential Actors and Pertinent Humanitarian Issues: Conflict Dynamics engages influential actors in order to positively impact the way they facilitate humanitarian access, utilizing a specific methodology rooted in the humanitarian principles and the International Normative Framework. Conflict Dynamics also explores and engages a variety of audiences within the humanitarian community on pressing issues related to access. Drawing on its extensive networks, partnerships, and engagements, Conflict Dynamics continues to identify critical topical issues in the field on which it conducts research and analysis to develop guidance.
- Evolving Policies and Practices for Key Humanitarian Stakeholders: Conflict Dynamics continues to enrich the debate surrounding humanitarian engagement and access by contributing to high-level discussions and sharing experiences and lessons learned through a variety of outlets and publications. Colleagues maintain a presence at major conferences; sharing expertise on pressing issues including innovative strategies to defeat challenges of humanitarian access and the impact of counterterrorism measures on humanitarian action, among others. Conflict Dynamics also maintains the Humanitarian Negotiations Information Portal, a virtual resource that promotes knowledge and learning among the humanitarian community.